- July 26, 2018
- Newmark Completes $691 Million of Commercial Mortgages During 2Q2018
- July 10, 2018
- Stancorp’s Mark Fisher Shares Insight on CRE and the Value of MBA Engagement
- June 5, 2018
- Newmark Q&A: What’s Driving Southwest CRE Lending?
- May 15, 2018
- CREFC: California Legislation To Watch
- May 7, 2018
- Time for a Coordinated Bay Area Displacement Policy
- May 3, 2018
- Newmark Completes $409 Million of Commercial Mortgages During 1Q2018
- March 26, 2018
- City Welcomes Big Storage Center
- March 6, 2018
- Newmark Looks at Defining Trends in the Commercial Real Estate Market for 2018
- February 9, 2018
- Newmark Expands San Francisco Production Staff With Key New Hires; On-Boards Five Member Team Specializing In Commercial Mortgage Finance
- January 25, 2018
- Newmark Completes $2.5 Billion of Commercial Mortgages During 2017
- November 27, 2017
- Despite Forecast Increases, Rates At Historic Lows
- November 8, 2017
- Newmark® Completes $726MM In Commercial Mortgages During 3Q2017
- October 24, 2017
- Newmark’s Michael Heagerty Elected to MBA’s 2018 Board of Directors
- October 11, 2017
- Newmark Names Producers Andy Bratt And Demetri Koston as Partners With Largest Privately-Held Commercial Mortgage Bank in Western U.S.
- September 13, 2017
- Real Estate Loan Administrator – San Francisco, CA
- August 7, 2017
- Newmark Completes $731 Million in Commercial Mortgages During 2Q2017
- June 29, 2017
- Newmark Secures $151 Million of New Financing on Behalf of Presson Companies for 30 Property Arizona Industrial Portfolio
- June 19, 2017
- Newmark Secures $68M Financing for Silicon Valley Assets
- June 5, 2017
- Creating a Better Borrower Experience
- April 12, 2017
- Newmark Completes $517 Million in Commercial Mortgages During 1Q2017
- April 4, 2017
- Keeping Focus on Controlled Variables
- March 7, 2017
- Owners of Stabilized Properties Increasingly Turning to Floating-Rate Loans
- February 27, 2017
- CMBS Is A Vital Part Of The CRE Finance Environment
- February 6, 2017
- Multifamily Financing Tightened, But Not Stopped
- February 1, 2017
- JV Secures $325M in Financing to Revive Potala Tower Hotel, Apartment Project in Seattle
- February 1, 2017
- Real Estate Loan Production Associate (Los Angeles)
- January 23, 2017
- Newmark Completes More Than $2.4 Billion of Commercial Mortgages in 2016
- January 19, 2017
- Newmark Turns 10 in Seattle; $421MM Pacific Northwest Production in 2016
- December 16, 2016
- Newmark Turns 25, Reaches $30 Billion in Commercial Mortgages
Newmark Completes $731 Million in Commercial Mortgages During 2Q2017
August 7, 2017
AUGUST 7, 2017
SAN FRANCISCO — Newmark™, the largest independent commercial mortgage banking firm in the western U.S., closed $731 million of commercial mortgages across 103 unique transactions in 2Q2017. This brings the company’s overall production to more than $1.25 billion in the first half of 2017. Active property types during the second quarter include industrial, retail and self storage assets; with the company’s Phoenix, AZ, San Francisco, CA and Southern, CA production offices showing the highest transaction volumes during the period.
“As some spreads contract to offset the minor increases in treasury rates, overall cost of commercial debt remains historically low for the best assets,” said Michael Heagerty, Principal and CFO with Newmark. “While many lenders assumed their commercial mortgage allocations would be met after an active first half, additional capital has become available for the second half of the year although not for every asset class. Notably, as rent growth begins to stall in many of the major markets, multifamily assets are finding it more difficult to underwrite to prior prime rates.”
“Retail as an asset class faces the greatest economic challenges as changing consumer behaviors affect performance and challenge underwriting. That being said, retail was still a surprisingly active asset class for production in 2Q2017.”
Heagerty pointed to the following trends as worthy of consideration at the close of 2Q2017:
- Volume – Commercial mortgage finance demand remains healthy and consistent with Newmark’s predictions for 2017 quarterly production. Newmark expects to exceed $2 billion in annual production in 2017 for its sixth year in a row.
- Credit Unions – As banks begin to pullback their allocations into the second half of 2017, credit unions are now emerging as a replacement source for commercial mortgage production.
- Bridge Loans – While an ample number of bridge lenders remain active moving into 3Q2017, it is hard to tell how many will survive into 2018.
- Retail – The most challenged asset class in today’s market is finding its stride as lenders familiar with the asset class remain confident in funding properties appropriately underwritten.
- Industrial – Constrained development, historically low vacancy rates and tenant demand in key Western markets has established strong fundamentals for this asset class. This is creating strong demand for long-term stabilization, short term repositioning and development financing.
- Self Storage – Appetite for allocations into this specialized property type remain healthy with Newmark’s correspondent lenders experienced with underwriting this asset class.
- CMBS – The wave of maturities have mainly processed through the system; all that’s left in this category are the more challenging properties. Rates are decent, but production remains low. CMBS financing, however, remains a viable alternative for challenged assets.
Newmark, a privately held company based in San Francisco, is a full service mortgage banking firm with an extensive lineup of correspondent lenders utilizing Newmark’s production, closing and servicing capabilities. Established in 1991, Newmark is currently staffed by over 70 employees in regional offices throughout the western United States. The company’s national servicing platform of nearly $10 billion represents over 1,200 loans located in 40 states. Newmark is rated as a Primary Servicer by Standard & Poor’s and is one of a select few non-banking/non-insurance chartered companies with this designation. For more information please visit www.newmarkrealtycapital.com.
NEWMARK is a trademark of Newmark Realty Capital, Inc. NEWMARK & Design and NEWMARK REALTY CAPITAL are registered trademarks of Newmark Realty Capital, Inc.